14 October 2008

Across the street from my apartment there is a strip bar. I walk by it everyday. The sign on the outside often reads "Your day starts here, with ice cold beer" and it sickens me. Addiction is huge in my neighbourhood and places like the No. 5 Orange feed these addictions, it is shameful.

So the other day I was walking by and they were painting it, bright orange. They were painting it to attract people, make it look 'better'. The No. 5 was a dull, dirty orange until a couple days ago, now it is the brightest orange you will ever see - you cant miss it. As I was walking by it I was disgusted at how they were making this place that promotes human trafficking attractive. And without consciously deciding I spat on the wall. It was like something (I'm going to go with a holy anger) rose up in me. Now I don't spit, I think it is gross - but I guess I think a bright orange building that attracts rich sleazy men into my neighbourhood to idolise women for their bodies is pretty repulsive too.

On a brighter side (bright at in Holy Radiance - and not as in this repulsive orange), there is a Salvation Army produced sign on the bus stop right in front of the No. 5 that reads www.thetruthisntsexy.ca - and has some graphic and gut wrenching shots of those enslaved by human trafficking - pretty redemptive I say.

1 comments:

Evangelist for Christ said...

hey u know i enjoyed reading your blog, and the fact that a spiritual anger rose up inside of you! Pray that God makes a way in your community and that you see some amazing spiritual breakthrough! keep pressing into the holy ghost!