01 October 2007

Although my life doesn't always reflect it, I like to think I am fairly anti-death. I know where I stand on most things. I believe that abortion is always wrong. I believe that capital punishment is always wrong. I believe that war is always wrong.

However, I have struggled with where I stand on euthanasia, until tonight that is. I can now say that I believe euthanasia is always wrong.

I struggled with this because I would think if someone I cared a lot about was ever in a 'vegetable state' as they put it I couldn't see myself agreeing to let them live like that. And then I would personalise it and think, well if I was ever brain dead, I would want the plug pulled. My mind was thinking this way because of mercy, not because I believe death is okay. Now, I have always thought euthanasia for the handicapped is wrong. I guess I was just really torn at where to draw the line.

But I know the line now, that there is no line. Euthanasia is always wrong.

Tonight I was watching Law and Order. There was a scene where this girl was on life support. The mother was very adamant about keeping her alive even though the daughters condition was irreversible. The husband on the other hand was just as adamant about taking the feeding tube out. During this scene you had all the characters debating on the morality of this situation. Some thought like the mother - life is worth living and no one other the God should decide when life ends. Others thought like the husband - to take her out of misery and end her pain. I can admit that both sides have there legit reasoning, and prior to tonight I think I would have been quick to agree with the husbands view. However, I cannot in good conscience ever say that killing someone is okay - and same goes with euthanasia.

Jesus came to give life. The enemy came to kill. (John 10:10). If we are following Jesus then we should too give life and live lives and fight for life in others. If we are following Satan, then sure kill unborn babies, drop a bomb on an Israeli village, inject a criminal with poison and pull the plug. I follow Jesus though. I am anti-death, always and in all things.

Man, the enemy is so manipulative. Manipulating how the world, saved and unsaved alike, view these moral choices. Could it be okay to abort a child because he or she may be born with cerebral palsy, or is a victim of a rape. Could it be okay that the person who murdered your sister is legally put to death. War, its defencive violence, justice manifested. Yup, the enemy has had me there too. But death is always wrong. Simple as that.

Now, I'm not much of a debater, in fact I avoid blogs and conversations such as these simply for that reason - but throw me some comments on this one. Spiritually and morally. I'm interested.

Grace,
Nicole

God is here.

Currently Reading - Helps to Holiness by Samuel L. Brengle

and I don't usually blog this close together - so if your interested in fruit of Scripture memory check out my post below.

0 comments: