26 January 2007

I have been notified that apparently Fridays are now Red Flag Fridays. We as Canadians are supposed to wear red on Fridays in support of our troops. My Aunt was wearing a red twist tie around her wrist when I asked the inevitable why question. It was then she went on to inform me about this Red Flag Friday thing. Apparently the idea is that in weeks or in months many Canadians will be wearing red on Fridays, I can see it now - malls flooded with red shirts, hats and shoes.

It reminded me of the community I live in. We as Salvos in the Downtown Eastside and affiliated outposts and networks have what we call Tunic Tuesdays. This is were uniformed soldiers unite and wear their Salvation Army uniform at some point on Tuesdays. (Feel free to join in this). When soldiers walk in uniform in our community it sends a powerful message to our neighbors of who we are and we become somewhat more approachable. It would be great to in weeks or months Salvation Soldiers will be wearing uniform on Tuesdays, I can see it now - malls flooded with high collars, epaulets and black socks.

When I start soldiering again I will join in this Tunic Tuesday phenomenon. For now I will stick with the Red Fridays.

God is here.

3 comments:

Caitlyn said...

Whoa, supporting troops?
That's intense, let's have a conversation about that sometime soon.
I can't say I agree.

Gods child said...

i misss you!!!!:P

YOU DONT KNOW MEEEeeee said...

im anti-war. but i support troops. they feel what they're doing is right- and since they arent really wrong...i just figure there are other ways to go about things...
and as soon as i get my high collar, ima be on in the tunic tuesday businass...
and also...i miss you too!...
i went jogging this morning. can you believe it? me neither...
anyway- hey- pray about DC for me...ok?