28 July 2009

I was scoping out some Salvo sites earlier today and two particular articles got my attention. I don't do this often [check out Salvo sites] but I'm following a couple of 'em on Twitter, and it grabbed my attention. I think I'm digging this Twitter thing - if you are too, follow me @nicolebrindle.

So the first article was about summer Kettle Campaigns.
If you're in New York anytime soon, you'll see the Salvo buckets, bells, and if you're lucky evan a brass band! The article ended with asking if we think Canada should do an impromptu out of season Kettle Campaign...my first reaction was no way!, but on second thought...Why not?

There is some real beauty to Kettle’s and the Christmas season. A time when giving is heightened and when the joy flooding the streets trumps the cold, and here in Canada, often bitter cold days.Salvation Army Kettles are a favored thing in the winter, what I mean by that is people expect to see them on street corners and in malls during the season - and by having a special time for them (rather then some thing that becomes mundane and repetitive) encourages others to give…

However, if people need help, and we need money to help others, then yeah, let us get those kettles out and about and spread the word. And though it might affect the Kettle total at Christmas by some, I think the summer and winter totals might actually increase the yearly total.

Plus, Kettles AND a tan - can’t beat the combo (though the scarves and bleeding knuckles do run a close second)

We just might need to forfeit the bells and use a harmonica or fiddle or some other summery-type instrument…

---------------------

The Second article I read was about Evangelism...but reading it I felt more like I was reading something on how not to evangelise. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge advocater for 'friendship evangelism' [which is what the article was about] and in my experience it has been by far the most effective for long term salvations I've seen yet. But in the article it said, be careful of pressure tactics....now although I am definitely not suggesting we pressure someone into Salvation...I am saying we must apply the pressure! Jesus is coming soon! We can't just sit here hoping we don't offend and hoping we don't 'pressure' too hard - but I say, pressure away! Ask everyone you know if they know Christ. You might be surprised at some. I heard a story once about a Corps Sargent Major who for the first time in 20 years repented for he had never heard the gospel! Salvation isn't something that can wait! Now is the time for Salvation. If we wait around for an okay moment to share the gospel with a neighbour or friend we might end up waiting around too long. We can't wait around for the right moment to share the Good News, because the right moment is right now. Our friends and neighbours are going to Hell and I don't know how we can NOT evangelise without pressure. Boldly evangelise to your friends and to strangers. Jesus is coming. Soon.

0 comments: