19 April 2009

Last April I blogged 6 times, this is only post number 3 and the month ends in less then two weeks - plus I'm going out of town this week so my blogging days are limited. And 6 is a shy number in itself. April Goal: blog 7 times.

It's not that I have a lack of things to say, far from it actually. Maybe that's the issue, I have so much to say, I just can't pick!

I know I already wrote a bit about prayer - but because that's where I am at, that's what I'll continue to write about.

I live in a really neat neighbourhood and I live with really neat people. One of the coolest things we do is pray. My favourite prayer season we have been in is when we take 3 hours shifts and go 24/7 - non stop prayer - one time we did it for 4 years, not to brag - but come on - it is pretty cool.

I think though we have now entered my new favourite prayer rhythm.

There are 4 different 'faith communities' here in the DTES. We're not that special - basically all we do is move into the DTES and make friends. Though we are similar, we each bring something unique to the table. I'm part of 614, which is a Salvation Army Corps, there is also one called St. Ciara's community (Anglican background I believe), Servants (http://www.servantsasia.org/index.php/canada/vancouver-community), and Jacob's Well (http://www.jacobswell.ca/?page_id=10). We are all friends and often spin off each other for various things - we've had people from all three teach at our War College (http://www.thewarcollege.com/), as well as we have taught/shared with them. We've shared babysitters and pastoral care. We have also all been a part of a community garden (perhaps I'll blog about that for April blog #4)

This past month though, I think we have really begun to taste the fullness of unity, the unity of prayer. 614 has a 24/7 prayer room and for most of that time we have prayed non-stop 24 hours a day 7 days a week (April blog #5 shall have some really sweet stories from there). So we begun the first week of April with a community meal shared by the above four mentioned communities and for that first week Servants, Jacob's Well and St. Ciara's joined us in our non-stop prayer rhythm. This past week was the Servants host week and we joined in with their prayer rhythm, which was three time daily prayers. Due to schedule I didn't get to catch any of the afternoon ones, but I got to as many morning and evening prayers as I could. The mornings we prayed liturgy together - I've done liturgical prayers here and there - but there was a fullness to them doing them with the Servants - for with it they brought an authority of discipline. The evenings was a Taize chant, followed by reading a Psalm and then a quiet reflection of your day with the LORD. I very very very rarely fit in a daily silent reflection time - but after experiencing that with the Servants - I shan't stop. I can't - I've tasted and seen how good it is, and now before I retire to bed I plan to continue in this rhythm personally. If we hadn't joined together in prayer, I wouldn't have developed this now necessary-for-me discipline. Next week is Jacob's Well's week and I'm looking forward to joining in with their host week, and St. Ciara's to follow.

We'd be fools to think that we got it all - that we don't need each other. Sure I could continue with my own prayer rhythms or that of my community, and probably still be okay, and probably still meet with the Lord and probably still be refined over and over- but golly I'd be missing out on a whole lot. There are things that other communities, fellowships, Christians and Church traditions bring that I'd never see on my own, just as I'm sure there are things I/we could bring elsewhere to deepen others. We only know in part now, one day we will see in full...until then we need to be seeking the fullness - which this past week has taught me comes in the unity of prayer.

I think prayer is hands down the most intimate and personal thing you can do with Christ. Where you can meet him in your brokenness and joy. Where mysteries are unveiled and striving ceased. As personal and intimate as it is, there is a great fullness that comes when you pray for one another with one another. I said in my last post that I think praying without ceasing is not only attainable but our mandate as believers - I think I also want to propose that praying together is just as attainable and mandated.

0 comments: