06 October 2008

Discipline is easy.
Yup you read that right.

When discipline becomes routine it becomes easy. Easy might be the wrong word, I kind of shutter at the word easy sometimes, but discipline that becomes routine simply makes life better. The fruit proves so - taste and see that the Lord is good.

I think discipline, coupled with discipleship (and I'm sure there is some word origin/connection there) is foundational in the deliverance of sin and strongholds. I think to stay free, one must be disciplined in freedom - it's like a precautionary guard against backsliding. I was recently delivered from addiction, although I might be hitting the mark where the word 'recently' will no longer fit, and when I look back to those times and think about what, aside from Christ, I can credit my deliverance and freedom to - and what it is is discipline. Sure, anyone at anytime can simply stop an addictive behaviour - whether it be for 5 minutes, a day, a month - but it takes discipline to remain stopped.

Not only does discipline act to protect one from backsliding, it also prevents sin and guards your holiness. John the Baptist had this theory down. By living a fasted lifestyle (a disciplined lifestyle) he remained upright and pure. Discipline is fruit of holiness (or is holiness fruit of discipline), either way this fruit is good.

There are so many ways to be practical in this. Set your alarm 5 minutes (although be hardcore and go for the full hour) early and get up to spend that much more time with the Lord in prayer and in His Word. Blog weekly (if you are more hardcore then that, daily), join us in MTB (I will post it weekly - this weeks verse(s):
1 John 5:11-12 "For this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life which is found in his Son. He who has the Son has life, and he who does not have the Son does not have life"

What are some practical ways to be disciplined in your daily life? (Leave comment now)

----------------------------------

How is Nicole doing?

Well. Almost done Jeremiah - it was a slow trek through the book - but well worth it. I have been meditating on Psalm 91 this week and loving the Lord's protection and coverage promised.

I came across an interesting realisation this week. I fear. Fear, mostly of peers and what they will think of me if I do or don't do something, kinda has too much control in my life. I avoid conflict and confrontation - which can lead to bitterness or anger - because of it. I don't rise up to the fullness of life that God has given me. And vision, prophetic words or really stinkin good idea I don't vocalise because people might disagree, or not like them. Is this really all because of fear? Wowee! To top it off, for a long time this fear has been masked as pride or shame - so I would pray and try to conquer those rather then fear. But now that my eyes are open, I trust that through discipline I can receive deliverance from a spirit of fear. Perfect love casts out all fear, and God disciplines the ones He loves. Hmmm

On another note - Danielle Strickland is in town (and staying at my place too). It's been good fun - and its been less then a day since her arrival. She is teaching an open class at The War College, Tuesday afternoon at 1300h - locals I encourage you all to come. If you are a night owl and are reading this in the next 4 hours - Commissioner Marilyn Francis is teaching then - come out for that too.

Peace!

Come to the War College next year please.
www.thewarcollege.com

2 comments:

lux said...

it is true discipline and holiness are linked... cause as you become more disciplined you become more holy.. and when you become more holy you are more disciplined..
I need to discipline myself more, to spend more time with God, and to eat properly to name a couple.

I would so come to those classes... if i wasn't so far away, they should be awesome. So i pray that God will speak through those guys what He wants to say.

i really enjoy reading your blog mate,
blessings

Andy Mac said...

I think that discipline is less of what you actually do and more the attitude you have.
Displine isnt doing the same thing everyday, thats routine. Discipline is the attitude to want to get up 5 minutes early because you WANT to spend that time with Jesus. Displine is also the greatest combatant to distraction. And I think distraction is one of the greatest uses of the enemy these days.
Good stuff Nicole.
Miss you