26 November 2007

“What is the meaning of life?” I’m no scholar, or philosopher that’s for sure but I think I have found the answer. Before you continue reading, make sure you are ready to grasp this, because it is huge. Okay, are you ready? The meaning of life is, now are you sure you are prepared, because if not now’s the time to close the book. You’re still reading, that must mean you are. Are you sitting down? Because what I am about to say has the potential to cause shortness of breath and in rare cases hospitalization. The meaning of life is, drum role please, to live. Are you completely flabbergasted? Are you tearing up the pages of your Philosophy 101 text book wondering why you wasted four years of university when all you had to do was read my book? Now, just in case you missed the answer, I’ll save you the trouble of back reading. The meaning of life is to live.

Dictionary.com defines life as “The interval of time between birth and death”, (although as a hardcore pro-lifer (another reason why I am writing a book on life) I would further define life as “The interval of time between conception and death”) and defines live as “To continue to have life”. Yes it is that simple. We are conceived and then we die, everything else in between is life. The interval of time between our conception and our death is when we are living and thus the meaning of life is to live.

I have a special friend, Dominic, he is eighteen months. He knows the meaning of life well. He falls asleep when he is tired. He wakes up when he has had enough rest. He will let you know if he needs something and not hold back in pride. He eats when he is hungry and he stops eating when he is full. He comforts you when you’re sad and furthers your happiest day with joy. He sleeps again and then the next day does it all over again. Dominic knows the meaning of life. The meaning of life is to live.

Next, let’s take a look at what Jesus says life is about.

I came that they may have [life] and enjoy life and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows). John 10:10b Amp.

I have come so that they can have life. I want them to have it in the fullest possible way. John 10:10b NIRV

Let’s expand that verse a bit. First who is Jesus talking about? If we go up to the beginning of the chapter we are told He is talking about His sheep, you and me. He came so that we would have life, so that our neighbours would have life, so that the drug addict on the streets would have life, and so that the young girl whose wrists are slashed would have life. He came so that the dead can live. This life thing He came to give is even better then it sounds. The Greek word for life is ‘Zoë’ meaning: life, alive, came to life, belonged, receive living, among others which I will spend more time on in a later chapter. He not only came so we could have life, or in the Greek, so that we could be alive or so that we could belong but also so we would enjoy living (and I mean really enjoy living) and that we would reap the full benefits of life.

I’m not a big fan of the Message translation (a personal thing, I don’t have any solid reason for this) but I love how the Message puts this verse “I came so they would have a real and eternal life, more and better life then they could ever dream of”. Take a moment right now to imagine your perfect life. Where are you living? Think of the setting – a cozy cottage in the woods perhaps, is it a beautiful summers day, are you living in a community with friends always around. What people are present? Maybe someone you love is currently very sick and you are imagining them healed and pain-free. What are you doing? Tell me about your family and friends in this picture. Now think for a bit on how great that life looks, soak it up. Looks pretty good eh? Get this, the life Jesus has for you is better then that! Now that’s good news.

1 comments:

lux said...

hey mate,
I am enjoying reading your blogs... they are good, and thought provoking...
keep it up...
Love and miss you..
blessings