30 April 2007

Schizophrenia like other mental illnesses are genetic. There was once a set of identical twins. Because they were identical they either both carried the gene, or both didn't. In this particular set of twins they did. One twin was adopted into a loving home and the other into a home of abuse and addiction.

Side note - I don't think twins should ever be separated when it comes to adoption...correction I don't think siblings should ever be separated.

So the twin that was raised in a loving home grew up without a trace of any mental illness. The other twin who was raised in an abusive home grew up to be diagnosed with schizophrenia.

This shows us the importance of providing places of refuge, places of safety and places of love for the broken and vulnerable. To create an environment within your relationships with people.

The development of such mental illnesses and I would go a step further and say the development of any spiritual thing depends largely on the environment.

Currently reading - Nothing...Ill get on it - I read an extra book in February so I'm still on my quota of a book a month, but I haven't read anything for April...I gotta get on it for May

God is here.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

I find books by Philip Yancey very quick to read and full of content. The two I just finished were, "Reaching for the Invisible God: what can we expect to find?" and "Soul Survivor: how my faith survived the church"
The second talks a lot about people who have done inspiring things but how they have struggled with different spiritual things in their lives, and reminds me that grace is evident where ever you go. I suggest reading these two, they are almost like companions and show a view of God that is often overlooked.

Caitlyn said...

Read The Holy War of the Sally Ann.
Soo good, and really easy to read.

Matthew said...

actually schizophrenia isn't 100% genetic. It's only 46%. I studied this this year at university. In normal cases of identical twins only 46% will ever develop schizophrenia. A lot of the time (just over half) of the time schizophrenia is brought on by our environment.

Matthew said...

oh wait - nvm. i see what you're saying now.
Forget what i said above...i just didnt read carefully the first time.