23 February 2007

Currently Reading: "Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne

Today I was serving lunch down at the ARC (Addictions Rehab Center), and my friend came in OD'ing. He was going in and out of consciousness. I went and sat with him to keep him awake while the ambulance came. When the paramedics arrived he refused to go with them. When the paramedic guy said "We will need you to sign this paper declaring you are not going to the hospital against our recommendation" and when he signed it I just burst into tears. I just watched my friend choose death. He remained in our cafeteria trying to eat and trying to drink his coffee, but he kept spilling it, or dozing in and out of consciousness thus dropping food everywhere. Today's meal was spaghetti and he would take the fork and doze off before it reached his mouth and sauce would get all over his hands, face, clothing. All I could do was sit there and cry. It came time for us to close, and I had been talking to him the whole time to keep him awake and I asked him again, this time with tears flowing down my cheeks if he would go to the hospital now, he still refused stating he was okay. He wasn't. He was dying. So what could I do at that point...nothing. He left and I watched him stagger away, falling backwards, crossing the street impaired. After this I went to find him. I didn't find him. I pretty much watched my friend die. Can I do anything else? Would Jesus be here typing on a blog or would be be out still trying to find him?

I was speaking at some group this week and I got asked a question. "What would you do if these people you meet who are homeless and set up their tents and stuff in the city parks we pay for with our taxes"...implying how would you kick them out.
In the most polite way I could, because we all know I don't like confrontation I replied...I would set up a tent and join 'em!...I just might do that this summer. Anyone have a tent I can borrow???

Anyways yesterday I promised this new revelation that will change my prayer life. Well here it goes. I think Ive hyped it up to much, its really not as exciting as it sounds.

Well I work at this Mental Health Group Home. One of the ladies I was working with the other day was having a bad day. The voices in her head were too much and were taking control of her speech, her mind, her body. She was crying, that cry that feels like the deepest parts crying out, those sobs where its sooo painful. Man I just wanted to take her in my arms and hold her. She was too out of it to administer her meds, and the voices were too loud for her to listen to me, so all I could do was pray for her. I didn't know how to pray - so I mostly prayed in tongues...but then I was like "Jesus I don't even care if she knows its you giving her joy-just bring her joy please, I don't even care if she knows its you bringing peace-but I just pray Lord that your peace surrounds her right now"...

All this time I have been praying for people with the intentions of "See it was Jesus who did that, and my motives for prayer often have been so that afterwords I can preach to them....I have more been praying for what I think is important, then for what my friend really needs. When my friend has Legions in her head speaking all sorts of horrible things, she doesn't need to hear Jesus can set you free, she just needs freedom. Its much more simple that way too. And really once that freedom or peace or joy does come its pretty hard to deny the work of the Holy Ghost, after all every good and perfect gift come from Him.

This probably doesn't make sense, and maybe it doesn't have to...it makes sense to me...and maybe I'm wrong.

hmmm...

God is here.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what i am reading and what i have been tallied your this kicking but women of God. Jesus was there right next to crying and asking him the say thing.