20 June 2006

Today I made a new friend. She came over to our place for squad/cell/whatever we are going to call it. At first it was Beracah, I, our friend, and our new friend. Our new friend was allready pretty open with us, which was pretty neat. She shared with us that she had been raped by her mothers boyfriend, that she first got high when she was six years old, and that she spent some time in a jouvenile group home for troubled teens...on top of some other unjust stuff. Oh ya, she is only 14.

This makes me so angry. It makes me angry that young girls are getting raped and abused. It me angry that my friends are getting raped and abused. It makes me angry that a young girls image of "father" is a rapist. FUCK! Im angry.

And Im sorry to all teens, and parents, and whoever else who reads my blog and is offended by the offensive language. I was tempted to delete my swearing, for im not one to swear...online. But I am too angry, so it shall remain.

This conversation with my new friend, led nicely into what the Holy Ghost had instore for the evening. You see, Beracah had this wonderful idea of a justice wall. To put up a bulliton board, and make a collage of some awarness, and stats and stuff. We pulled out some newspapers, printed some contraversial pictures from online (aborted fetus', child prostitues), and started it. It was a great way to hear what our friends are passionate about. We proposed the question of what makes you angry? And recieved ansewrs of, crystal meth, drunk drivers, animal abuse, child abuse. We shared some stories from "Siren Call of a Dangerous God" a book I have just begun reading by Geoff Ryan, corps officer 614 Toronto and from "Be A Hero" written by Stephen Court (corps officer of 614 Vancouver) and Wesley Campbell. The injustice that was read hit everyone and made us think. One of my freinds asked to borrow "Be A Hero" (a teen who has dropped out of school requesting to read a book...now thats a mirical in itself).

Then we all went outside (where we did cause a fire - exibit A) for a while. After some fire and wrestling (exibit B), one of our friends chose to go back inside while the rest of us hung around outside. When i went in later, I found him on the couch reading "Siren Call of a Dangerous God". Im excited to see where God is going.



Exibit A (notice the remnints of a fire under Joey's head - oyvay...proff that teens, lighters and an abandoned matress dont work)
Exibit B




INJUSTICE...GOD DAMN IT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole you rock! I love how you thirst after justice. I am so glad that these kids have someone as awesome as you to look up to and admire. You inspire me always!

god bless

Matthew said...

I know this sounds cliché in many ways but:
Try tears...
Yours in the fight,
-Champ out.